WHAT TO DO WHEN YOUR HOME FLOODS
Flooding can be caused by heavy rain, sewer back-up, or a broken pipe, it is crucial to deal with the flood as soon as possible to prevent further water damage. When your home floods, it can be very damaging and can leave your home vulnerable to damage and mold growth.
The first things that you need to do when your home is faced with a flood:
Prioritize your safety
- Floodwater poses a lot of risks to your safety and health.
- Electricity that has come into contact with water can be very dangerous.
- Make sure to turn off the main breaker and all other individual fuses in your home before you step into the floodwater. If the water is too high, call a licensed electrician to inspect and evaluate your power box condition.
- You don’t know what contaminates the water; it is best to protect yourself against the harmful chemicals present by wearing protective gear too, such as gloves, boots, and a mask.
Identify the source of the flood and stop it
- Once the main power supply is turned off you will need find the cause of flooding and prevent more water from coming into your home. This will help prevent further water damage to your house. If the cause of a house flood is a leaky or broken pipe, then turn off your home’s main water supply.
Document the damage
- Before you start removing the floodwater to clean up your home, take a video or pictures of everything affected by the water. Documenting the damage done by the flooding is crucial for your insurance claims.
Call your insurance provider
- Once all the necessary documents are ready, call your insurance provider and inform them about the incident. Your insurance company will then send an adjuster to inspect the damage and evaluate the losses.
Get help from a reputable water damage professional
- The best way to deal with water damage caused by house floods is by calling a reputable water restoration company like Island Restoration Services. Contact us for all your emergency needs or if you need more information.